If you own a car with keyless entry, you likely have a key fob that needs a battery change from time to time. The good news is that changing the battery in a key fob is a quick and easy process that you can do yourself with just a few simple steps. In this article, we’ll show you how to change the battery in your key fob, so you can get back to using your keyless entry system without any issues.
What You’ll Need
Before we dive into the steps for changing your key fob battery, let’s first take a look at what you’ll need to get the job done. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A replacement battery for your key fob (check your owner’s manual for the correct battery type)
- A small flat-head screwdriver
- A clean, flat surface to work on
Steps for Changing Your Key Fob Battery
Now that you have everything you need, let’s walk through the steps for changing your key fob battery:
- Locate the key fob’s battery compartment – This will typically be on the back of the fob, and may be covered by a small plastic panel. Use your screwdriver to gently pry the panel off, if necessary.
- Remove the old battery – Once you have access to the battery compartment, carefully remove the old battery from its slot. Use your screwdriver or a small pair of pliers, if necessary.
- Insert the new battery – Take your replacement battery and carefully insert it into the slot, making sure that it is properly aligned. The positive (+) side of the battery should be facing up.
- Test the key fob – With the new battery in place, test the key fob to make sure that it is working properly. If it’s not, double-check that the battery is properly inserted.
- Reassemble the key fob – Once you’re satisfied that the key fob is working correctly, reattach any panels or covers that you removed to access the battery compartment.
And that’s it! With just a few simple steps, you can change the battery in your key fob and get back to using your keyless entry system.
Tips for Maintaining Your Key Fob Battery
To help prolong the life of your key fob battery, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Keep your key fob clean and dry – Moisture and dirt can cause damage to your key fob and its battery.
- Avoid extreme temperatures – Extreme heat or cold can also damage your key fob and its battery.
- Replace your battery before it dies – If your key fob starts to lose range or become unresponsive, it may be time to replace the battery before it dies completely.
Changing the battery in your key fob is a quick and easy process that you can do yourself in just a few minutes. By following the steps we’ve outlined in this article, you can replace your key fob battery and get back to using your keyless entry system without any issues. And with the tips we’ve provided for maintaining your key fob battery, you can help ensure that your keyless entry system stays working smoothly for years to come.