Players will soon have the opportunity to encounter a shiny Staryu in Pokémon Go. This highly anticipated event is the main reason why you won’t want to miss the upcoming Spotlight Hour.
There are many other exciting aspects of the Pokémon Go event to look forward to as well. You’ll have the chance to catch as many Staryu as possible, with the added possibility of catching a Staryu with perfect 100% IV stats.
Staryu’s Spotlight Hour falls on a relatively quiet day in Pokémon Go. It comes just after this year’s Pokémon Go Anniversary Celebration. However, you can still continue with the Field Notes: Team Rocket quest, which debuted at the same time.
Table of Contents
Staryu with Perfect 100% IV Stats in Pokémon Go
This week’s Spotlight Hour presents an excellent opportunity to catch a Staryu with perfect IV stats.
Once you’ve captured a Staryu with 100% IV stats, you’ll have the option to evolve it into a Starmie with perfect stats. While they may not be the most influential Pokémon in the Go Battle League, they can still be useful in battles against Team Go Rocket Grunts or in raids.
The CP values corresponding to perfect 15/15/15 IV stats are as follows:
- Level 30 (wild CP maximum): 991 CP
- Level 35 (weather boosted CP maximum): 1074 CP
The wild CP value aligns with your trainer level until you reach Level 30. Since the majority of players are now above this level, we’ve kept these values for the sake of simplicity. However, these values will be different if your current level is below 30.
Is there a Shiny Staryu in Pokémon Go?
The good news is that there is indeed a shiny Staryu in Pokémon Go.
Shiny Staryu, along with its evolution Starmie, was released as part of the Ultra Unlock event in August 2020.
If luck is on your side, you may come across a shiny Starmie in the wild. If not, you can always obtain one by evolving a shiny Staryu using 50 Staryu candy.
It’s important to note that Spotlight Hours only increase the number of Staryu spawning in the wild. The shiny rate for Staryu will not be affected during this event, unlike a Community Day.
What does Shiny Staryu look like?
As you can see in the picture below, shiny Staryu has a green appearance and a blue gem. On the other hand, Starmie has a darker blue appearance and a blue gem.
Other Reasons to Catch as Many Staryu as Possible
In addition to the chance of catching a shiny Staryu in Pokémon Go, there are several other reasons to participate in this week’s Spotlight Hour:
- Double transfer Candy: This Spotlight Hour offers the bonus of double transfer Candy. You’ll be rewarded for every Pokémon you transfer, so take advantage of this bonus and farm plenty of candy. Consider saving some transfers specifically for the event.
- Perfect opportunity for newcomers: If you’re a newcomer to Pokémon Go, this Spotlight Hour is the perfect time to collect enough Staryu candy to fully evolve this Pokémon into Starmie.
- Progress for the water medal: Since Staryu is a water-type Pokémon, catching a bunch during this Spotlight Hour will contribute to your water medal progress.
- Higher Stardust yield: Staryu is one of the few Pokémon that provides a higher amount of Stardust by default—750 per catch, or 1125 with a Star Piece. This amount increases further if it is weather boosted to 938 per catch, or 1406 with a Star Piece. In short, if you’re running low on Stardust, this is a great time to stock up!
Remember, Spotlight Hour events only last for an hour, from 6 pm to 7 pm (local time). But don’t worry if you can’t participate in this week’s event. Next week, Meditite will take the spotlight on July 26th, with the added bonus of double evolution XP.