Table of Contents
- The Lock Screen has been completely redesigned, allowing you to personalize it with your favorite photos, unique font styles, and widgets.
- You can now create multiple Lock Screens and easily switch between them.
- The Lock Screen gallery provides personalized suggestions and curated collections by Apple.
- Customize the look of the date and time on your Lock Screen with different font and color options.
- Widgets on the Lock Screen provide at-a-glance information such as weather updates, battery levels, and upcoming calendar events.
- A new effect places the subject of your photo in front of the time (available on iPhone XS and later).
- Photo styles change the color filter, tinting, and font style of photos on the Lock Screen to complement each other.
- Notifications now appear at the bottom of your Lock Screen and can be displayed in different views like expanded list view, stacked view, or count view.
- The new Lock Screen linking feature connects your Lock Screen to a Focus, allowing you to activate a Focus by switching to the corresponding Lock Screen.
- Focus filters hide distracting content in apps like Calendar, Mail, Messages, Safari, and third-party apps.
- Setting up Focus has been streamlined, making it easier and faster. You’ll receive personalized Lock Screen and Home Screen suggestions that are relevant to the Focus you’re setting up.
- Edit a message for up to 15 minutes after sending it, and recipients can see a record of edits.
- Undo send allows you to recall any message for up to 2 minutes after sending it.
- Mark as unread feature makes it convenient to come back to a conversation later.
- With SharePlay in Messages, you can enjoy various activities like watching movies, listening to music, and playing games with friends while messaging.
- Collaboration has been simplified, allowing you to easily invite others to collaborate on a file via Messages and receive activity updates in the thread when someone makes an edit to a shared project.
- Improved search delivers more accurate and complete results, providing suggestions as soon as you start typing.
- Undo send enables you to cancel the delivery of a message within 10 seconds of hitting send.
- Scheduled send feature allows you to send an email at a specific day and time.
- Follow-up feature surfaces sent emails that haven’t been replied to, making it easier for you to follow up.
- The Remind Me feature lets you schedule a date and time to be reminded about an email.
Safari and Passkeys
- Shared Tab Groups now allow you to share a set of tabs with others, and the Tab Group updates instantly as you collaborate.
- Customize Tab Group start pages with different background images and favorites for each Tab Group.
- Pinned tabs in Tab Groups let you pin frequently visited websites for each Tab Group.
- Safari web page translation now includes Turkish, Thai, Vietnamese, Polish, Indonesian, and Dutch.
- Passkeys offer a safer and easier sign-in method to replace passwords.
- Passkey syncing through iCloud Keychain makes your passkeys available across all your Apple devices while keeping them securely encrypted.
- Live Text video support enables you to interact with text in a paused video frame, allowing you to copy, translate, lookup, share, and more (available on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later).
- Quick actions let you take action on data detected in photos and videos with a single tap. You can track flights or shipments, translate foreign languages, convert currencies, and more (available on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later).
Visual Look Up
- Lift subject from background feature isolates the subject of an image, giving you the ability to copy and paste it into apps like Mail and Messages (available on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later).
- Visual Look Up now recognizes birds, insects, spiders, and statues in your photos (available on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later).
- Easy Shortcuts setup allows you to run shortcuts with Siri as soon as you download an app without any upfront setup (available on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later).
- A new setting allows you to send messages without Siri asking you to confirm before sending.
- Ask Siri “Hey Siri, what can I do here?” to discover Siri capabilities in iOS and apps (available on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later).
- You can now end Phone and FaceTime calls with Siri by saying “Hey Siri, hang up” (available on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later).
- The all-new Dictation experience supports using your voice and keyboard together to enter and edit text (available on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later).
- Automatic punctuation inserts commas, periods, and question marks as you dictate.
- Emoji support allows you to insert emoji using your voice (available on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later).
- Multi-stop routing now supports adding up to fifteen stops along your driving route in Maps.
- Transit cards in Maps let you see low balances and replenish your card in Wallet, all without leaving Maps.
- Transit fares show you the cost of your journey in the San Francisco Bay Area, London, New York, and San Diego.
Apple Pay and Wallet
- Apple Pay Order Tracking provides detailed receipts and order tracking information in Wallet for Apple Pay purchases with participating merchants.
- ID cards in Wallet allow you to share verified information with apps that require identity verification (available on iPhone 8 and later).
- Apple Account supports topping up your account balance from your Apple Account card in Wallet.
- The Home app has been redesigned to make it easier to navigate, organize, view, and control your smart home accessories.
- The Home tab now integrates all your accessories, rooms, and scenes into a single tab, providing a whole-house view.
- Categories for lights, climate, security, speakers and TVs, and water allow you to quickly access all relevant accessories organized by room, with more detailed status information.
- The new camera view displays up to four cameras front and center in the Home tab, and you can scroll to see additional camera views in your home.
- Redesigned accessory tiles feature visually recognizable icons that are color-matched to their category, with new behaviors for more precise accessory controls.
- The Medications feature helps you track and manage your medications, vitamins, and supplements by creating a list, custom schedules, reminders, and viewing logging over time.
- Add medications using your iPhone camera (available on iPhone XS, iPhone XR, and later).
- Interaction alerts inform you if there is a critical interaction when you add a new medication.
- Cycle deviation notifications alert you if your logged menstrual cycles show patterns of infrequent periods, irregular periods, prolonged periods, or persistent spotting.
- Invitations for Health Sharing let loved ones easily and securely share their health data with you.
- Health Sharing reminders give you transparency and control over the health data you’re sharing with loved ones.
- My Sports allows you to easily follow your favorite teams and leagues and watch highlights right in the News app.
- Favorites provide easy access to the channels and topics you read the most, in a consistent place near the top of your Today feed.
- New homepages deliver visually updated and easier-to-navigate topic feeds for local news locales, sports teams and leagues, and more.
- Improved child account setup makes it easier to create an account for a child with the right parental controls, including age-appropriate media restrictions.
- Device setup for a child lets you use Quick Start to easily set up a new iOS or iPadOS device for your child with your selected parental controls in place.
- Screen Time requests in Messages make it even easier to approve or decline requests from your child.
- The Family Checklist gives you tips and suggestions like updating a child’s parental control settings, turning on location sharing, or reminding you to share your iCloud+ subscription with everyone.
- Safety Check is a new section in Settings designed to help people in domestic or intimate partner violence situations quickly reset the access they’ve granted to others.
- Emergency reset allows you to quickly take action to reset access across all people and apps, including disabling location sharing via Find My, resetting privacy permissions for apps, and more.
- Manage sharing and access enables you to review and customize which apps and people can access your information.
- Door detection in Magnifier locates a door, reads signs and symbols around it, and provides instructions on how to open the door (available on iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro).
- Apple Watch mirroring provides full control of your Apple Watch from your iPhone, supporting the use of Switch Control, Voice Control, or any other assistive features on your iPhone for a seamless experience.
- Live Captions (beta) automatically converts audio into text, helping users who are Deaf or hard of hearing follow along more easily with calls and media content (available on iPhone 11 and later).
- Buddy controller helps users with cognitive disabilities get support from a caregiver or friend while playing a game by combining inputs from multiple game controllers into one.
- VoiceOver is now available in over 20 new languages and locales, including Bangla (India), Bulgarian, Catalan, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
- Voice Control spelling mode gives you the option to dictate names, addresses, or other custom spellings letter by letter.
This just scratches the surface of the exciting new features and improvements in the iOS 16 update. To learn more, check out the official 5 WS website here. Remember, some features may not be available in all regions or on all iPhone models. Stay updated and enjoy the incredible new possibilities with iOS 16!