Table of Contents
The Tejano Conjunto Festival in San Antonio is a highly anticipated annual event that showcases the best of conjunto music, a beloved Texas musical tradition. As the first and longest-running conjunto festival in the country, it has gained international recognition for its influence on the genre. In this article, we will explore the lineup and activities for the upcoming 41st Annual Tejano Conjunto Festival, taking place from May 17th to May 21st, 2023.
Experience the Best in Conjunto Music
A Brief Overview
The Tejano Conjunto Festival is a celebration of conjunto music, featuring various regional styles played across Texas. It offers the opportunity to experience the very best in conjunto music from talented musicians and bands.
The 41st Annual Tejano Conjunto Festival boasts an impressive lineup, showcasing the diversity and richness of conjunto music. Here are some of the highlighted performances over the three-day event:
Friday, May 19
- Joe Zimmerle y su Conjunto
- Los Tellez
- Javier Solis y los Unikos
- Ruben de la Cruz and Ruben Garza
- South Texas Homies
- Ricky Naranjo y Los Gamblers
Saturday, May 20
- Conjunto Cats
- Isaac De Los Santos y La Sangre Chicana
- Ricky Guzman y Los Tres Ases
- Conjunto Baraja de Oro
- Los Cucuys de Rodney Rodriguez
- Los Fantasmas
- Los Monarcas de Pete y Mario Diaz
- Lazaro Perez y su Conjunto
- Los Garcia Brothers
- Tony Tigre Saenz
Sunday, May 21
- Cindy Ramos y su Conjunto
- Grupo Azido
- The Tejano Boys
- Los Badd Boyz Del Valle
- Santiago Garza y Naturaleza
- Los Conjunto Kingz de Flavio Longoria
- Edgar Vasquez y su Conjunto
- Eva Ybarra
- Los Texmaniacs featuring special guest Flaco Jimenez
- Boni Mauricio y Los Maximos
Apart from the live music performances, the 41st Annual Tejano Conjunto Festival offers several other exciting events:
- Seniors Dance: On Wednesday, May 17th, seniors can enjoy a free dance with music from Santiago Jimenez, Jr. and Eddie Lalo Torres.
- Hall of Fame Inductions: On Thursday, May 18th, there will be a special dinner and dance at the historic Guadalupe Theater to celebrate the new inductees into the Hall of Fame.
Celebrating the Artists and Artwork
The Poster Contest
The Tejano Conjunto Festival holds an annual poster contest that showcases the talent of artists from various categories, including students and professionals. For the 41st Annual Tejano Conjunto Festival, Elisa de Hoyos from Weslaco, Texas, emerged as the winner of the contest. Her painting will be used for all promotional materials associated with the festival.
Recognizing Outstanding Artists
The winners of the contest in different categories are as follows:
- Middle School Category: Gabriela Mejia
- High School Category: Ava Rocha
- College Category: Michael Alvarez
Throughout the festival, the winning posters, honorable mentions, and other entries can be viewed at the Progreso Gallery next to the Guadalupe Latino Bookstore in San Antonio.
The Legacy of Conjunto Music
For over four decades, the Conjunto Festival in San Antonio has been a platform for legendary founders, popular performers, and heritage award winners in the conjunto genre. Through live performances, dances, workshops, and Hall of Fame inductions, the festival continues to preserve and promote conjunto music and its rich cultural heritage.
Join the Celebration
Tickets for the 41st Annual Tejano Conjunto Festival en San Antonio will go on sale on Wednesday, March 15th. A weekend pass costs only $45. You can purchase tickets at the Guadalupe Latino Bookstore, located at 1300 Guadalupe St. in the Historic Progreso Pharmacy Building. Bookstore hours are Tuesday to Saturday, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
For more information and updates, follow Tejano Nation on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. You can also subscribe to their YouTube channel to stay updated on everything Tejano. Be the first to listen to new Tejano music through their Spotify playlists and iHeartRadio podcast.
Remember to mark your calendars for the 41st Annual Tejano Conjunto Festival en San Antonio from May 17th to May 21st, 2023. Experience the magic of conjunto music and celebrate the vibrant culture of South Texas Tejanos!
This article was written for 5 WS.