Fortnite has become one of the most popular battle royale games, offering an exhilarating experience for players. And what’s better than playing it with a friend? Fortunately, Epic Games has made split-screen compatibility possible, allowing you to team up with a partner and dive into the action together. In this article, we’ll guide you on how to play split screen on Fortnite and provide information on which platforms support this feature.
Table of Contents
Can You Play Fortnite Split Screen? All Available Platforms
Currently, split-screen functionality is only available on PlayStation and Xbox. Unfortunately, Nintendo Switch lacks the power to handle two instances of Fortnite simultaneously, which is why the feature is not supported on that platform. On PCs, although they are powerful enough to run three instances of Fortnite, Epic Games faces difficulties in identifying different users, unlike on consoles. This limitation prevents split-screen functionality on PC. However, fear not, as you can still team up with your friends across different devices through Fortnite’s crossplay feature.
How to Play Fortnite Split Screen
To enjoy split-screen mode on Fortnite, there are a few steps you need to follow. Let’s go through the process together.
How to Play Fortnite Split Screen on PS4 and PS5
- Launch Fortnite with your primary PlayStation Network account and create a duo or squad lobby, as these are the only modes available for split-screen play.
- Turn on the second controller and select your spare PlayStation Network account when prompted.
- On the bottom right corner of your screen, press and hold “X” to log in as player two. This action will relaunch Fortnite and prompt you to link an account if you haven’t done so already.
- If the second player has a Fortnite account, they can enter the code shown on your screen by visiting Epic’s activation page and logging in. It is recommended to complete this process via a phone or tablet for ease of navigation.
- If the second player doesn’t have a Fortnite account or doesn’t want to link their account, you’ll need to create a separate Epic account to link with your console. Visit Fortnite’s sign-up page and create a new account either with an email or your secondary PSN account. Creating a new Fortnite account for your second PSN account can be more convenient, as it eliminates the need to repeat the linking process every time.
After completing these steps, one of the players can become the party leader by holding down “X” in the lobby. Both players need to ready up by pressing the triangle button to start the game. The game will automatically load into split-screen mode, with each screen marked with the players’ avatars to indicate their side.
How to Play Fortnite Split Screen on Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S
Setting up split screen on Xbox is very similar to the process on PlayStation. Here’s what you need to do:
- Log into Fortnite with your main account and set up a duo or squad lobby.
- Take out your second Xbox controller and press or hold the Xbox button until the side menu appears.
- Sign in with a separate Xbox account through “Switch Profile” or create one before logging in. After logging in, a new menu item will appear on the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Press and hold the “A” button to let the second player log into Fortnite. The game may ask you to link a Fortnite account.
- If the second player already has a Fortnite account, they can link it with their Xbox account by entering the code displayed on the screen through Epic’s activation page. It is recommended to create a separate Epic account for split-screen purposes to avoid requiring guests to link their accounts.
Once both accounts are in the lobby, ready up on both to start the game. The secondary player needs to take over and complete the ready-up process.
Will Fortnite Split Screen Come to Switch and PC?
At present, Epic Games has no plans to introduce split-screen functionality to PC and Nintendo Switch. As a result, split-screen remains exclusive to consoles. If you’re using a PC, Nintendo Switch, or mobile device, you won’t be able to play in split-screen mode. Should there be any changes or updates regarding this, we will promptly notify you.
Are There Any Disadvantages to Playing Fortnite Split Screen?
While split-screen allows you to play with a friend, it does come with a few drawbacks. First, your screen’s real estate per player will noticeably decrease, making it harder to spot enemies and engage in building fights. However, effective communication with your split-screen partner or squadmates can compensate for this limitation. Callouts will help you locate enemies you might otherwise miss.
Additionally, as your system needs to handle two instances of Fortnite, the usual frames-per-second (FPS) values may suffer. During split-screen play, you can expect an average FPS range of 30 to 45.
Which Fortnite Game Modes Can You Play Split Screen?
The number of game modes available in split-screen is limited. Solo, Creative, and Team Rumble game modes are disabled when using split-screen. For split-screen users, Duos and Squads are typically the only available modes. Regardless of the game mode, each player will have their separate inventories and won’t be able to share looted items automatically unless they manually do so.
If you encounter difficulties in enabling split-screen functionality despite following the recommended method for your console, the feature may have been temporarily disabled due to a bug or anomaly. In such cases, Epic Games usually announces the issue through their social media channels and restores the feature once the underlying errors are resolved. The duration of this downtime depends on Epic’s schedule.
For more insightful information and answers to your questions, visit 5 WS. Happy split-screen gaming!