The PS4 controller is one of the most popular gaming controllers in the market. It is known for its sleek design, comfortable grip, and long battery life. However, even the most reliable controllers need to be charged at some point. In this article, we will answer the question “how long does it take to charge a PS4 controller?” and provide you with some tips to extend your controller’s battery life.
How to Charge a PS4 Controller
Before we dive into the charging time, let’s first talk about how to charge a PS4 controller. There are two ways to charge your PS4 controller: using a USB cable or a charging dock.
Using a USB Cable
To charge your PS4 controller using a USB cable, follow these steps:
- Connect the small end of the USB cable to the back of the PS4 controller.
- Connect the other end of the USB cable to one of the USB ports on your PS4 console.
- The light bar on the PS4 controller will flash while it’s charging.
- Once the light bar stops flashing, your PS4 controller is fully charged.
Using a Charging Dock
To charge your PS4 controller using a charging dock, follow these steps:
- Connect the charging dock to a power source.
- Place the PS4 controller on the charging dock.
- The light bar on the PS4 controller will turn orange, indicating that it’s charging.
- Once the light bar turns off, your PS4 controller is fully charged.
How Long Does It Take to Charge a PS4 Controller?
The amount of time it takes to charge a PS4 controller depends on several factors, such as the charging method, the battery level, and the age of the battery. On average, it takes around two hours to fully charge a PS4 controller using a USB cable or a charging dock.
If you’re using a USB cable to charge your PS4 controller, it’s recommended that you charge it while the PS4 console is in rest mode. This will allow the controller to charge faster and more efficiently.
On the other hand, if you’re using a charging dock, make sure that it’s compatible with your PS4 controller. Using a third-party charging dock that is not recommended by Sony can damage your PS4 controller and reduce its battery life.
Tips to Extend Your PS4 Controller’s Battery Life
Here are some tips to extend your PS4 controller’s battery life:
- Adjust the controller’s brightness level. Lowering the brightness level can help extend the battery life of your PS4 controller.
- Turn off the vibration feature. The vibration feature can drain your PS4 controller’s battery quickly. If you’re playing a game that doesn’t require vibration, it’s best to turn it off.
- Disconnect the controller when not in use. If you’re not using your PS4 controller, make sure to disconnect it from the PS4 console or the charging dock to prevent it from draining its battery.
- Use the PS4 controller’s power-saving mode. The PS4 controller has a power-saving mode that will automatically turn off the controller after a period of inactivity. To enable this feature, go to “Settings” > “Power Saving Settings” > “Set Time Until Controllers Turn Off” and select your preferred time interval.
By following these tips, you can extend your PS4 controller’s battery life and avoid the hassle of having to charge it frequently.
In conclusion, the amount of time it takes to charge a PS4 controller depends on several factors. On average, it takes around two hours to fully charge a PS4 controller using a USB cable or a charging dock. By following the tips mentioned