If you’re like most people, you probably have some thawed chicken in your fridge right now. Maybe you forgot about it, or maybe you’re just not sure how long it’s been there. Either way, it’s important to know how long you can safely keep thawed chicken in the fridge. In this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about storing thawed chicken in the fridge.
How Long Can You Keep Thawed Chicken in the Fridge?
The short answer is that you can keep thawed chicken in the fridge for up to 2 days. After that, it’s best to cook or freeze it. This is because bacteria can grow rapidly at temperatures between 40┬░F and 140┬░F, which is known as the “danger zone.” If you leave thawed chicken in the fridge for too long, it can become unsafe to eat.
Storing Thawed Chicken in the Fridge
When storing thawed chicken in the fridge, it’s important to follow some basic food safety guidelines. Here are a few tips:
- Keep the chicken in its original packaging or transfer it to an airtight container.
- Make sure the fridge temperature is set to 40┬░F or below.
- Store the chicken on the bottom shelf of the fridge to prevent any potential drips from contaminating other foods.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your thawed chicken stays fresh and safe to eat for as long as possible.
Signs of Spoiled Chicken
Even if you store your thawed chicken properly, it’s important to know the signs of spoiled chicken. Here are a few things to look out for:
- The chicken has a bad smell.
- The chicken is slimy or sticky to the touch.
- The chicken has a grayish color or is turning green.
- The chicken has a strange texture, such as being overly soft or mushy.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s best to err on the side of caution and discard the chicken. It’s not worth the risk of getting sick.
Freezing Thawed Chicken
If you’re not going to be able to eat your thawed chicken within 2 days, it’s best to freeze it. This will help prevent bacteria from growing and keep the chicken safe to eat for a longer period of time. To freeze thawed chicken, follow these steps:
- Place the chicken in an airtight freezer-safe container or bag.
- Label the container or bag with the date you froze the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the freezer.
Thawed chicken can be safely frozen for up to 6 months. Just make sure to thaw it properly before cooking.
In conclusion, knowing how long you can keep thawed chicken in the fridge is important for food safety. By following the guidelines outlined in this article, you can help ensure that your chicken stays fresh and safe to eat. Remember, if you’re not going to be able to eat your thawed chicken within 2 days, it’s best to freeze it. Stay safe and happy cooking!